D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 83 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ - CEJILLA
Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video.
Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Next we'll work on four pieces :
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE

- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241
D02 Ferdinando Carulli - Rondo opus 241.mp3
- page 59 Felix HORETZKY (1796-1870) AMUSEMENT
D02 Felix Horetzky - Amusement.mp3
- page 70 ANONYME (ca. 1850) DOS PALOMAS
D02 Anonyme - Dos palomas.mp3

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

I look forward to hearing you play them.

We have reached the end of this first year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year. The online lessons will start up again on Tuesday 6 September 2011 and, as well as lessons for the three levels covered this year, I'll be adding a new course at the fourth year level. Registration for the fourth year course (D04) will be open to members who have posted 20 messages on the forum.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Alan (Tarbaby), Rich (oski79) and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Vlad Kosulin

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 am

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D02 that I updated today.
I am afraid, the new D02 is not uploaded yet. I can see delcamp_d02___2011-05-31.pdf only.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:24 am

thank you Vlad,
:desole:
j'ai corrigé mon message, il n'y a pas de nouvelle version pour ce cours.
I corrected my message, there is no new version for this lesson.
:( + ♫ = :)

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241
This is the longest piece so far and I thought it would be helppful to point to this post
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60096
from Larry McDonalds tuesday tips.
The piece has repeated phrases with individual sections between.
I started at the end and the beginning is much easier.

Cy Pawsey

Post by Cy Pawsey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the link - most interesting and productive.

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Hello everyone, here are my submissions after a week's work. The rondo is a real challenge for me due to the length. I've recorded several 'takes' but each one has quite a few mistakes. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad news that it's a different set of mistakes each take! I've only recorded one complete chaconne - the main challenge here is playing the Dm chord without using the 3rd finger and a similar case for the Am chord - habits from my guitar playing before I took up the classical.

Here first of all is the chaconne, needs much more practice and I need to bringing out the legatos

[media]https://youtu.be/R9oLHoKPxVg[/media]

Carulli's rondo - 4 mins 20 compared to 2:34 for M. Delcamp's version! I've managed some damping but missed others - mostly the G string. If anyone manages to listen to the whole piece you might be able to tell I really like the last section (from bar 70)!

[media]https://youtu.be/De1aa5p29Vc[/media]
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am

:merci: Dear M. Delcamp
Thank you for these inspiring and helpful lessons. I hope you too have a good summer

Cher M. Delcamp
Merci beaucoup pour ces leçons inspirantes et serviable. J'espère que vous aussi vous avez un bon été.

Ned

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Stewart Doyle wrote:Hello everyone, here are my submissions after a week's work.
Stewart Doyle wrote:Here first of all is the chaconne, needs much more practice and I need to bringing out the legatos
Hi Stewart

Well done for being the first of us to post your efforts. The Chaconne looks tricky and I thought it a good effort fir an initial submission. What I like about your posting is that you take both pieces at a steady tempo and your left hand generally looks pretty solid and has a good idea where it is going most of the time - seems to know its way well around the first position. Glad to notice though (misery loves company!) that like me, you have a lazy country style with the left thumb...

As for the Carulli Rondo, I thought you did well to maintain a fairly steady tempo through the sections where the right hand picking pattern (I am reverting to lazy country lingo rather than classical terminology here) changes. Your enthusiasm during the last section was evident - and the closing bars sounded great.

:desole: "fraid it is no cigar for me, I only just figured out yesterday that a new lesson had already begun...obviously took my eye off clock with these exams. So I shall hope to post in a few days.

Good practice to all!

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Well done Stewart
I would try and end the bars with the descending/ascending scale (2, 6, 14, 31 etc.) with the 4 finger on the D. This leaves the 3rd finger ready for the C in the next bar. At this tempo its ok with finger 3 but I think it will cause trouble for you when the tempo is increased.

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Thank you Ned and Richard for your helpful comments.
Ned - I have to work on that lazy left thumb - I immediately went to look at my exam piece, and there it is - poking out! I wonder if that will cost me 'marks'? I always listen to my recordings but I clearly don't watch them as closely as I should.
Richard - I'm glad you obviously did watch closely - I wasn't aware I was even using finger 3 for the D. When I look now it looks ridiculous jumping from the 2nd string to the 5th! The pressure to learn the piece/sight-read (never my greatest strength) does mean I sometimes resort to 'winging it' as far as fingering goes. What I should probably do is play it even slower and perhaps not attempt the whole piece unless I'm comfortable with the fingering?
Thanks again, Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:22 am

Dear all

Here is my first attempt at the Chaconne and the Rondo.

[media]https://youtu.be/XLUZvM4jwSc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/UxdG0I_9KbU[/media]

Congratulations to one and all for your fine results in the end of year exam.

Ned

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:08 pm

By the way, how are you all approaching the RH fingering of Dos Palomas?
Personally I am finding this one the hardest of the lot.

Ned

anne lerat

Post by anne lerat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:10 am

Hello Ned
It's great, your work!! :bravo: I haven't finished The Rando .The end is a few difficult for me at the moment .But I think ;I can do it with the time .Congratulations from France :bye:

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 pm

anne lerat wrote:Hello Ned
It's great, your work!!
:merci: Bonjour Anne, et merci pour vos commentaires élogieux.
Bonne chance avec votre pratique.

Richard, thanks for the signposting of the stuff on end chaining, it was a good way to start learning the piece, and a useful technique to know about.

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Ned well done.
I'm still trying to chain the bits together without any glaring errors!
hopefully a post out this week.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”