US $.2500 Johnny Walker Grand Concert spruce 2006, SF Bay

Del

US $.2500 Johnny Walker Grand Concert spruce 2006, SF Bay

Post by Del » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm

- Type / luthier: Johnny Walker (Bartlesville, OK) #550 Grand Concert Flamenca Negra
- Year of construction: 2006
- Scale length (mm): 640
- Nut (mm): 50mm (42 mm string spread)
- Bridge: 12 hole fully bound tie block cocobolo rosewood bridge
- Top: Engleman Spruce
- Back / Sides: Cocobolo Rosewood
- Fingerboard / (bridge): Ebony (w/21 fret extension)
- Tuners: Gotoh premiums - GGCSPECB
- Sound: per maker: "It has a slightly sweeter sound than the blanco with less of the dry rasp typical of the blanco"
- Condition: Excellent
- Price: $2500
- Viewing / trial possible: Yes
- Location (nearest city): San Francisco Bay Area

This is the first guitar I had made in 2006 by Johnny Walker at a time when undecided as to whether I was going the classical or flamenco route. The description on Johnny’s site of his negra seemed just the ticket. I ultimately went the flamenco route and ordered a blanca 2 years later. This “negra” worked for my needs until it started opening up after 2-3 years. The more it opened up, the more the volume and sustain of the cocobolo increased, away from the dry rasp of the blanca. This is a shorter scale guitar and requires a lighter touch than mine. It has virtually imperceptible tap plates for percussive needs. The neck is oval shaped and on the thin side to accommodate smaller hands or this preference. This guitar is beutifully constructed & built to last.

This is Johnny’s Grand Concert model with purfling, fully French polished, intoned saddle & nut, gotoh premiums and there is also an extra saddle with a wider string spread. The guitar is in great condition, never left my house; (comes in original virtually mint TKL case) and played very little in the last 2 or 3 years.

In addition, I notified Johnny ahead of my intention to sell and he has graciously offered to look over the guitar and, if desired, remove the tap plates, gratis to the new owner. (He also informs me it can be switched over to "left-handed model with satisfactory results", if need be). Thank you, Johnny, once again.

Also available wil be in-progress photos during guitar construction plus quality post construction photos, if interested.

Please view description of "negra" sound on Johnny's site at:

http://www.johnnywalkerguitars.com/conc ... enco_model

Available for view/ trial to interested parties in the SF Bay Area, mid-peninsula (I would prefer not to ship this guitar for trial) and will also post on SF craigslist in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent

Re: US $2500 Johnny Walker Grand Concert negra, 2006, SF Bay

Post by Kent » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:49 pm

This looks like a very good deal. :wink:

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I can't say enough GOOD things about Johnny Walker and his guitars. My main guitar now is his #559, just a few months younger than the one Del is offering. This is a magnificent deal for someone.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

melliebird

Post by melliebird » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 pm

This is a great price for a luthier built guitar! If it was 650mm I just might take a spin...

Del

Re: US $.2500 Johnny Walker Grand Concert spruce 2006, SF Ba

Post by Del » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for the above comments. They are reflective of a luthier who’s well known for continued commitment to his customers and instruments.

I’ve decided to ship the guitar back into the hands of Johnny Walker for a thorough inspection and assessment. The guitar will remain on sale at this price for the time being with the added knowledge that it will be inspected thoroughly by the original builder prior to sale and available for shipment and delivery from Oklahoma until such time an alternate decision is made. If any potential buyer is interested in modifications, this will also be an option while the guitar is with the builder. I am hoping to find the time to ship the guitar to Johnny within the next 2 weeks.

If anyone is interested or has any further questions, please drop me a PM. Thanks.

pbrolen

Post by pbrolen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Del

I am looking for a 640 and I would be very interested in your Walker.
Thank you.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 am

pbrolen - just sent you a PM. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Just a quick update that this guitar has just arrived safely in Oklahoma, back in the hands of the builder. The guitar remains for sale but is currently unavailable for viewing / trial in SF Bay Area as published in the original post.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 am

In a day or 2 I’ll ask the moderator to remove /archive this ad. When advertised again, if not sold or retained by me in the interim, the guitar will have undergone a refurbishing that will bring it from excellent to virtually original condition. As part of the refurbishing, the tap plates will be removed and the guitar re-classified as a shorter scale Johnny Walker Grand Concert Classical guitar. If anyone is interested in the guitar at the current price, contact me in the next couple of days – but know there will now be a waiting period while Johnny tries to fit the work into his schedule. Because of the added expense, effort and work that will have gone into this guitar since it was initially listed, the price is unlikely to remain the same. Thanks for looking.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Del wrote: As part of the refurbishing, the tap plates will be removed and the guitar re-classified as a shorter scale Johnny Walker Grand Concert Classical guitar.
I've owned JW classical and flamenco guitars. There is substantially more difference in these models than just tap-plates. Neck angle and bridge height are two critical points of divergence between his CG and FG designs.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Del

Post by Del » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi David:

In the scheme of things, I’m not sure “critical divergence” of neck angle and bridge height is at all informative as to the voice of this guitar. Nut, strings, saddle, player, nails, temperature, etc. are all divergences within any given guitar. Although I had to advertise this guitar as a negra, I know it is not a guitar for a flamenco player and have pretty much described it, having matured over time, as a classical guitar with plates on it to that end. It is a shorter scale guitar with “high”action (i.e. no buzz), great resonance and sustain. I would say that - shorter scale length, saddle height, high action and cocobolo rosewood - contribute far more to this sound than neck angle and bridge height. Similarly, the blanca you own (mentioned elsewhere on this forum) is also not essentially a flamenco guitar, in that it is shorter scale, and you requested that more sustain be integrated into the makeup. At the end of the day, you were looking for a guitar that suited your playing style and hoping for something close to a sound you were looking for. Johnny accommodates many requests for customization and does his utmost to build the best guitar within the requests of the customers – but no-one really knows precisely how a guitar will mature over a number of years. With each commission, I have described to Johnny what I was looking for at that point in time, but asked him not to take a step in any direction that would compromise his building ethics or procedures.

I’ve described this guitar to the best of my ability to give interested parties as much information as possible and also checked with the builder re the accuracy and concurrence of the descriptions. Plates or not, neck angle this way or that, this is a 640 scale classical guitar and has nothing in common with the JW flamenco blanca I own in terms of playability and sound – as I described in the original posting.

I own 2 other Walker guitars. One is a gorgeous Brazilian rosewood / cedar 650 grand concert classical on which I can play certain flamenco styles (without golpe) to great effect and a beautifully sweet sound. Go figure. Guitar and owner do their best for each other over time. Sometimes they grow apart.
Thanks for looking. Tomorrow I’ll ask the moderator to archive this posting.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Final qualifier before requesting archiving of this post later today. Having re-checked with Johnny who builds his "negras" to favor either classical or flamenco, this guitar was built to favor a "classical" sound - cocobolo B&S with catered top bracing modified toward the classical bent. All his guitars are buit with the fret-board neck-joint in the same plane as the top. The bridge on this guitar is also the same as for his classicals. Only his blancas have a lower bridge & saddle and tapered fretboard.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info.

My last comment would be that Johnny Walker is a helluva fine luthier, and anyone who buys this guitar is bound to be very happy with it!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Moderator Geoff:

per PM request just submitted to you, please archive this posting at your earliest convinence.

Cheers.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Archived as requested.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”