Torres FE17 / FE18 Replica

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
nijikon5

Torres FE17 / FE18 Replica

Post by nijikon5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if there was any recommendations for Luthiers who can make a replica of the small body Torres guitar. I know Daryl Perry makes one, but are there any other luthiers who can offer to build one? Any help/suggestions are very welcomed, thanks!

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Re: Torres FE17 / FE18 Replica

Post by Doug Ingram » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Depends, are you looking at professional luthiers or accomplished amateurs? I'd fall into the later category and have been studying the FE17 for my own work.

For pros, in addition to Daryl Perry, I'd suggest Luca Waldner who restored the real FE17, Gerhard Oldiges, and Florian Vorreitier who did a very detailed study of the FE18. There would be other, as well, but these four come to mind first.

Interestingly enough, myself, Florian, and Daryl all live in the same city!

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm not affiliated with Zaveletas, but I have been browsing their site lately, and there is an 1883 SE 54 copy on there made by Jesus Bellido from Granada. I don't know how close in size that guitar is to FE 17 or 18, but I would guess that it is pretty close to FE 17.

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, Doug!

Professional and/or Accomplished Amateur does not make a huge difference to me. I'd just like a Guitar that is a replica and not "built on plans" or "inspired". GSI has a vid of Marc Teicholz playing a 36 Spruce/Maple Fleta that was based on an early Torres guitar. I really love that warm and sweet sound!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 pm

But that's not a replica. It's Fleta basing a Guitar on a design by Torres. It can only really be considered 'inspired by'. Not a bad idea in itself and it is a very sweet Guitar but not a replica.
Historicalguitars.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Recent discussion about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73772
Historicalguitars.

mqbernardo

Post by mqbernardo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Doug Ingram wrote:Interestingly enough, myself, Florian, and Daryl all live in the same city!
Talk about a crowded market...

nijikon5

Post by nijikon5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Michael.N. wrote:But that's not a replica. It's Fleta basing a Guitar on a design by Torres. It can only really be considered 'inspired by'. Not a bad idea in itself and it is a very sweet Guitar but not a replica.
Indeed, I was just pointing that particular guitar out because the recording was pretty high quality and gave me inspiration to look into a smaller body FE Torres guitar. I currently have a Torres style guitar, but I'd like a replica of his small body guitar.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Kenny Hill Guitars makes an FE18 replica.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Is that '36 Fleta the size of FE 17 or the smaller FE 18?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

It is a 'structural copy' (GSI text) of Torres FE 17. Fleta had the original in for repair/restoration. Presumably they use the term 'structural copy' because the appointments on the Fleta differ from the original Torres by quite a margin. The Back and Side inlays on the Fleta are very attractive IMO.

FE17 Plan here:

Not sure how accurate this plan is. I would have to draw it up and check with known measurements and Photo's.

EDIT: Scrap that link. I think it violates copyright.
Historicalguitars.

Doug Ingram
Amateur luthier

Post by Doug Ingram » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 pm

mqbernardo wrote:
Doug Ingram wrote:Interestingly enough, myself, Florian, and Daryl all live in the same city!
Talk about a crowded market...
Oh, did I forget to mention Allan Beardsell is here too? http://www.beardsellguitars.com/

Its a good kind of crowded. Living here I often feel so off the map as far as the rest of the world is concerned, but there is so much talent here.

Peter Tsiorba
Luthier

Post by Peter Tsiorba » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 am

I'm helping my daughter build an FE 17 Torres-inspired guitar. She has already built a uke, and wanted to work on a "real" guitar. I am omitting some of the ornamentation, the rosette a bit narrower than the original. Otherwise, we are sticking to dimensions, bracing, etc.
Peter Tsiorba
Maker and Restorer since 2001
Classical and Flamenco Guitars
Portland, Oregon USA

Jason Wolverton
Luthier

Post by Jason Wolverton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 am

I have done a lot of research on FE 17. At one time I was fascinated by this guitar. I even had the opportunity to examine, measure, and take detail photographs of the instrument. If you want a replica, I can get very close to the original.
"I have discovered (to my joy) that it is life, not death, that has no limits."- Florentino Ariza

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 am

Peter Tsiorba wrote:I'm helping my daughter build an FE 17 Torres-inspired guitar. She has already built a uke, and wanted to work on a "real" guitar. I am omitting some of the ornamentation, the rosette a bit narrower than the original. Otherwise, we are sticking to dimensions, bracing, etc.
That's cool. It would make me really happy if one of my children show interest in this type of work.

Return to “Luthiers”