D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Brian Hunker

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Brian Hunker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Stefan,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Those are great tips. I am going to practice more without looking at my hands to develop a feel for the strings. It makes total sense!

You are right about my guitar too! I am saving up to buy a proper classical guitar. The red one I have is pretty low quality. It is made of paper thin wood and it has a crack that runs all the way down the middle of the back! But I guess it works for now. Even if I had the money, I would feel foolish spending it because I can't play classical guitar well enough to chose a good one.

Maybe after I get through D01 and D02 I'll have a few skills under my belt. Then I will know enough to buy a good guitar.

Thanks Again!

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Aung,

I have a small tip for you. I noticed that when you mute strings with your (left) fretting hand you are pressing the string down, as if you were going to play a fretted note.

You don't need to press the string all the way down in order to mute it. Just lightly (but deliberately) touching the vibrating sting will stop the sound. I think it is a general rule in guitar to economize the movement of your hands. So when it comes to muting strings, you will be better off forming your habits based on the minimum required movements and effort to get the job done. In this case that's lightly touching the string without the added effort of pressing it down to the fretboard.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with the rest of the lesson 1 videos!

Ray Santos

Post by Ray Santos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi Archit,

In reply to your message from Friday 29 November 2013, 04:31 am, thanks for your encouraging comment.

--Ray

Ray Santos

Post by Ray Santos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your nice comment in your Monday 02 December 2013, 20:59 pm post. I like that you're placing importance on proper posture for classical guitar, especially when it comes to positioning of the right hand. I'm also trying to do the same, though it still feels awkward to me to play guitar with correct posture. Playing relaxed and keeping a straight line from my forearm to the back of my right-hand (with a slight bend at the wrist towards the guitar) is something I constantly have to remind myself to maintain, though I know I slip now and and then.

I see from your Lesson 01 videos that you're doing a great job playing in a straight and relaxed posture. The positioning of your right hand looks perfect, as does the positioning of your left hand on the fretboard. You also maintain a smooth and even tempo, which I'm guessing comes from your experience playing the drum set shown behind you. Great job on adding titles to your videos too.

In addition to the Shearer's Method 1 book that you mentioned, I also use "Solo Guitar Playing: Book One" by Frederick Noad. Although both books do a good job explaining proper posture and hand positioning, the best book I've found so far on the technical aspects (posture, hand positioning, nail filing, note articulation, etc.) of classical guitar is "The Art of Classical Guitar Playing" by Charles Duncan. I read that book often in hopes of making the information in the book stick in my memory.

Regarding using a mirror for checking posture, I use both a full-length mirror and a hand-held. Before I start my guitar practice I sit in guitar playing position in front of a full-length mirror. I then adjust my playing position as needed and do my best to remember how everything feels. Then I move to my regular practice location and do my best from memory to sit using correct guitar playing position. I use the hand-held mirror on occasion to check my right-hand position on the guitar. I also critique my playing position when I review different takes of practice sessions that I record on video.

Finally, I also make mental notes of posture and hand positions used by professional classical guitarists whom I watch on youtube, like this site's owner Jean-Francois Delcamp. I especially like the posture and hand positions used by Tatyana Rhyzkova and Kaori Muraji.

--Ray

[Added below an hour or so later]

Hi Brian,

A few minutes ago I noticed that you have a website link and I visited your site. Now I understand why you're such an advanced "beginner" classical guitar student!

I'll be certain to put into practice any guitar tips that you suggest for me.

Great looking and nicely equipped music studio you have.

--Ray
Last edited by Ray Santos on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ray Santos

Post by Ray Santos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 am

Hi Aung,

Regarding your video posted Wednesday 04 December 2013, 01:37 am for Cordes a Vide #1, good job on playing all the correct notes. As Marko mentioned, the durations were more or less accurate. Do you own a metronome? If not, consider getting a hold of one so you can practice playing the songs at each song's given tempo, which is located above the first measure.

For Cordes a Vide the tempo is 104 beats per minute, with each quarter note getting one beat.

Don't initially practice a song at the given tempo. Start off trying to maintain the beat of half the given tempo. Gradually work your way up to the given tempo as you get more comfortable playing the notes in sync with current tempo. That is how I use the metronome during my practice sessions.

Only after I can play the song comfortably and without error at the song's intended tempo (or close to it as best as I can without errors) do I practice playing the song at proper tempo without the metronome.

For your future videos it would be nice if you angled your camera so we can also see your thumb in action as it plucks the guitar strings.

Are you a left-handed guitar player or is your video showing us a mirror-image of your guitar playing position?

--Ray

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:28 am

Wow Brian ! You are a Champion. Your pieces were fabulous and your tempo was spot on. :bravo:

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Ray:

Thanks for you thoughtful feedback on my videos. Your suggestion to check posture in the mirror, but then recall the posture in practice away from the mirror (without visual feedback) is an excellent idea. I have been setting up my regular practice position right in front of the mirror and I actually found it difficult when I left that spot to record my videos. I was relying too much on the visual and not the muscle senses!

I have also ordered the Duncan and Noad books you suggested. I am finding that the time spent reading about technique is equally (and sometimes even more) valuable than the time spent plugging away on the actual guitar. This is true at least here in the very beginning where everything seems physically awkward and there are many technical pitfalls.

I would urge anyone else reading this thread to read up on the anatomy of the hands, and techniques described in detail in the books of these masters. You want to make sure you are building solid skills instead of just awkwardly powering through these early lessons. It will only be harder to refine the basic techniques in future lessons where I can only imagine the musical material becomes much more complex.

In the classical guitar world, I am a "beginner". My right hand has always used a pick and my right fingers know nothing. I am finding the material in these lessons difficult to master (despite my years of musical experience and fairly skilled left hand). I have a tremendous amount of respect for all the true beginners who are making progress and successfully completing these lessons having little or no prior experience on guitar. The progress you are are making is truly amazing! It speaks a lot to everyone's dedication and to Delcamp's quite superior method.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi, Archit.

Thank you so much for your kind words! :merci:

Pyit Phyo Aung

Post by Pyit Phyo Aung » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you very much, Brian and Ray for your thoughtful feedback. I tried to improve on damping and recorded Page#6 again. I can't buy metronome yet but it definitely is a good device for tempo.

Btw, Ray. My video is showing mirror-image of me playing. I'll try to improve recording too. :)

I still haven't finished the other two notes I need to record and post yet. I'll try to post them this week. My apology for being late.

Here are my new recordings.

D01 => Page #6 => Number #1 (2nd Recording)

http://www.vimeo.com/81371108

D01 => Page #6 => Number #2

http://www.vimeo.com/81371158

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 am

Very good Aung!

But your guitar was out of tune. May I suggest that you buy an electronic tuner / metronome combination. They're quite cheap. There are also free smart phone applications for both tuning and metronome, as well as free online metronomes.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pyit Phyo Aung

Post by Pyit Phyo Aung » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks very much again for your time and kind advice, Marko. I didn't realize that my guitar was out of tune. I used gStrings application to tune the guitar. I'll be careful next time. What I do is I loosen strings after every practice not to stress the guitar board very long and tune using that gStrings application before every practice. Is it a good practice?

Cheers,

Aung

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 am

Pyit Phyo Aung wrote:What I do is I loosen strings after every practice not to stress the guitar board very long and tune using that gStrings application before every practice. Is it a good practice?

Cheers,

Aung
No need to do that, Aung! Just let them be. They'll be happy and your guitar will be fine. :wink:

Alan

RogerMoore

Post by RogerMoore » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi someone
I know theres a place which explains what part of the utube url has to be embedded in the post, but i cant find it.
Can someone please help,,, :(
Roger

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:26 pm

This link will help Roger
If it doesn't, I also pm'ed you the http version ;-)

RogerMoore

Post by RogerMoore » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 am

[media]https://youtu.be/3pv9jMDJuUM[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/_JXUI_AFHAQ[/media]
A little behind schedule but getting there slowly.

And thankyou Emmanuel for the crucial tip

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”