Ergoplay Guitar Support - Your Thoughts Please

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Malcolm

Ergoplay Guitar Support - Your Thoughts Please

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 am

This was mentioned this in another post, but I wanted to start a separate thread to get as many opinions on this device as possible.

There are several models available from the site that sends strings via the postman, and I am wondering about the pros and cons of each:

Ergoplay Professional Guitar Support (US$37.95);
Ergoplay Tappert Guitar Support (US$41.37); and
Ergoplay Troester Guitar Support (US$66.95).

My main questions are:

are they very effective in relieving back discomfort?
are they comfortable to use in regard to arms and shoulders etc.?
do they allow flexibility of movement in the torso or does that tend to be held rather rigid? and
do members who have used these devices consider them a worthwhile investment?

Thanks in Anticipation,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

simonm

Re: Ergoplay Guitar Support - Your Thoughts Please

Post by simonm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Malcolm wrote:This was mentioned this in another post,...
A slight understatement - a search gives 61 pages of posts which mention ergoplay! :mrgreen:

I think the general answer to all your questions is "yes".

I have the Troester and I will eventually stick it on the auction site for what may seem a strange reason - it has too many options. A simpler model would suit me better.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 pm

I use the regular Ergoplay, it does help with back stress, which is the reason I got it. As far as which model you might like or whether you will like it at all is subjective. The Tappert model would be way too tall for me, I am short and the regular model at it's lowest setting is just about right. It takes a little getting used to, but any change in playing position is going to take some work.

I tried the Neck up, but felt it was too flexible, I didn't feel secure with it. The Ergoplay sticks better to my french polished guitar, since gravity pushes on the suction cups, it can't come off while playing. The system itself is rigid and secure so I can move around well, I tend to move a bit when playing so being flexible in the torso feels right. When I go back and try a footstool I feel much more restricted, and of course the tension in my lower back and legs is very apparent in comparison.

Unless you are just poor, I would recommend trying it out at least. If you are tall then maybe the Tappert would work better but who knows until you try. I know many players who are each happy with a specific support for whatever reason. The Ergoplay just happened to work for me. I would have liked a little more height adjustment (lower), but am able to get comfortable enough just by where I place the support on the guitar.

Bottom line is that it is a quality product, but trying it out for a period of time is the only way to know. If you don't like it you can sell it to someone, but $40 isn't all the big an investment to most people.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:01 am

I found the ergoplay easy to use and was better for my hips and back. More important is to be relaxed with whatever you use. I am using a cushion now as i didnt like sticking the ergoplay on my guitar.

Alain Cloutier

Post by Alain Cloutier » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Malcolm wrote:
are they very effective in relieving back discomfort?
Absolutely!

I bought the "Troester" three years ago and can't live without it anymore. I use to suffer from low back pain because of the "foot rest" position and it totally solved the problem. I prefer that model because of its dual height adjustments. It allows you to change the angle of your right hand relative to the strings and to adjust to a lower seat as well.

I posted videos here on the forum using it. You can see on them that my right hand angle would have been very difficult to obtain with another type of support.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”