D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:48 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 78 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.
- page 30 Thoinot ARBEAU (1519-1595) PAVANE
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 78 number 19, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59
I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 (pages 85, 86) regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

WilliamTee
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Halil Akaydin
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Stefan Srećković
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Laura Staats
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Beatriz Martin
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

CarlWestman
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59

Haris Karachristianidis
ANDANTINO
SAUTEUSE opus 59
:( + ♫ = :)

Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Two beautiful pieces in this lesson. Looking forward to hearing everyone's renditions!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 am

Yes, two beautiful pieces, it will be interesting to try to play as beautiful as they should sound.
So much to do this time too. We need to take part in musical games. And he said don't forget to practice improvisation for next lesson.
My slurs are coming better this time compared to D01, I try to follow Mr. Delcamp's direction, pressing fast hammering down and trying to keep the fingers parallel when pulling the string, he says it is harder on nylon strings.
When I saw Carulli the Andantino I thought this is gonna be easy, but then I saw the dotted notes at the end, and that's going to be a challenge for me. Both pieces are interesting!

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 am

I'm glad you mentioned the musical games. I didn't see that when I first looked over the lesson. I started a new game.viewtopic.php?f=109&t=83585
When he refers to lesson 7, is he talking about D01?

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 am

Laura Staats wrote:I'm glad you mentioned the musical games. I didn't see that when I first looked over the lesson. I started a new game.viewtopic.php?f=109&t=83585
When he refers to lesson 7, is he talking about D01?
No Laura, D02 - improvisation. That will be the next lesson in D02.

He started the musical games forum to introduce students to the concept of improvisation. Thank you for reviving that forum! :D

Alan

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 pm

Just noticed that the illustrative video for the Carulli piece, measures 9-16 are only played once. Should we follow suit? M. Delcamp plays those measures with some finality, by slowing the tempo at the end. I suppose you could play it twice and make it sound normal by waiting to slow the tempo until the second time around.

I really like Pavane and Andantino, but am considerably less enthralled with the Carcassi piece - particularly the way it starts. JMO.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 am

I would try to play the second part of Carulli's twice since that's on the score, but I suppose if you do it only once it is ok since Mr. Delcamp did it once. I think slowing the tempo at the end it is up to you depending on your interpretation.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 am

I don't understand the duration of notes on bars 13, 14 on Andantino. For example, to me the first C on the fifth string has longer duration than the G and the E, then the second C is supposed to have shorter duration that the G and the E. But when I listen to Mr. Delcamp I don't see he gives such a short duration to the second C. Same thing with the rest of the bar and bar 14. How do you play this or am I not listening well?

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am

Also, what do the stems going down mean? I forgot this again.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:Also, what do the stems going down mean? I forgot this again.
It means the bass voice or the lower voice. It usually also means that the notes are to be played with thumb.
Beatriz Martin wrote:I don't understand the duration of notes on bars 13, 14 on Andantino. For example, to me the first C on the fifth string has longer duration than the G and the E, then the second C is supposed to have shorter duration that the G and the E. But when I listen to Mr. Delcamp I don't see he gives such a short duration to the second C. Same thing with the rest of the bar and bar 14. How do you play this or am I not listening well?
You play C-G-E-C letting them all ring together, then damp them all at the same time you play B-G-D-B etc. It's similar to preceding bars. Now the last note of the four note arpeggio pattern is the bass voice note, which makes the bass voice go with the dotted rhythm. If you count the 16th notes as one, the whole measure from bass voice point of view goes like BAH-(two-three)-BAH-BAH-(two-three)-BAH. I suggest that you first forget about the left hand fingering, and concentrate on the right hand pattern on strings 5,3 and 1. p-i-a-p-p-i-a-p. Then on strings 5,3 and 2 p-i-m-p-p-i-m-p (notice again how the use of thumb creates the dotted rhythm pattern).

Then the whole two measures : p-i-a-p(damp)p-i-m-p(damp)|p-i-m-p(damp)p-i-m-p(damp) The second bar notes could also be played with p-m-a-p if it feels comfortable for you.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:41 am

Marko Räsänen wrote: You play C-G-E-C letting them all ring together, then damp them all at the same time you play B-G-D-B etc.
Then the whole two measures : p-i-a-p(damp)p-i-m-p(damp)|p-i-m-p(damp)p-i-m-p(damp) The second bar notes could also be played with p-m-a-p if it feels comfortable for you.
Oh, I think I get it Marko, thank you so much, I will practice the dampening and right hand playing.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi guys, I just added a part to the musical game Laura started
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=83585

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote: I suggest that you first forget about the left hand fingering, and concentrate on the right hand pattern on strings 5,3 and 1. p-i-a-p-p-i-a-p. Then on strings 5,3 and 2 p-i-m-p-p-i-m-p (notice again how the use of thumb creates the dotted rhythm pattern).

Is anybody using the ring finger as Marko suggests here for bar 13? how do you find this?
I naturally use p i m i since that's what I use from the beginning. But I have been trying the p-i-a-p and it seems hard, I get stuck or lose concentration, I guess it would be a good practice too, same with bar 14. I am curious about what fingering you are using here.

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:59 pm

I find it more comfortable to use the ring finger for parts of measure 13 and 14 on Andantino (p.33). I use the thumb on the bass notes, then line up i,m and a on the top 3 strings. p-i-a-p, p-i-m-p, p-m-a-p, p-m-a-p

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 am

Here is my recordings...
As always, any comments are welcome.
Thank you for watching

[media]https://youtu.be/c8V2ppHz54A[/media]

ANDANTINO
[media]https://youtu.be/4vV7lWQuuCo[/media]

SAUTEUSE opus 59
[media]https://youtu.be/P_C754xRkHA[/media]