D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:30 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS

- page 105 - 13/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Folias.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
Las Folias are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 31 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) FOLIAS
In bars 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. The melody is played on the first string, except in bars 46 and 47. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
On the first beat of each of the odd-numbered bars, you need to use a rest stroke for the treble note with your third finger while at the same time using a free stroke for the bass note, played gently with your thumb.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".
The marking CV, in bars 19, 20, 27, 28, 67, 68, 75 and 76, indicates a half barré with the index finger at the fifth fret.

- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
The dotted lines joining two identical notes indicate that the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS
- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ACCORDS
VALSE

Catherine Livingston
ACCORDS
VALSE

Satyajit Kadle
ACCORDS
VALSE

Pentti Kotilainen
ACCORDS
VALSE

George Karpenkov
ACCORDS
VALSE

Win Chaivipas
ACCORDS
VALSE

EmmanuelVankerschaver
ACCORDS
VALSE

Marian Kmet
ACCORDS
VALSE
:( + ♫ = :)

Catherine Livingston

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Here is my post of Valse (Anon), after 1 week of practice. It was definitely an added challenge to focus on creating a melody using my "a" finger while playing free strokes with the other fingers. I hope I did this correctly> :roll:
Of course, it needs some cleaning up, but I wanted to post my progress and will welcome any comments or suggestions.
:) Cat Livingston
[media]https://youtu.be/wUHZA3Nv52I[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi,
I decided to work on the Jose Ferrer Y Esteve piece this week. Here is my progress thus far. I found myself really drawn to this study and pretty much dropped the Valse and worked on this for the second part of the week. I am confused by measures #29-32. :roll: I am not confident that I played this part correctly. The melody isn't as obvious in this section, so I relied on reading the music. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank You for listening.
:D Cat Livingston
[media]https://youtu.be/2FaaY9gk0uM[/media]

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 am

Good job with the Valse, Cat!

In Ferrer Y Esteve study make sure you give the quarter notes in bars 24-29 their full duration. Note that the time signature of the piece is 3/8, which means that a quarter note should last 2 out of 3 beats in a bar. A dotted 16th note + 32th note combination lasts one beat.

In bars 30 and 31 you should play 2nd, 4th and 6th B on the 2nd open string, the rest of the notes are played on 3rd and 4th string. Make sure to keep the 2nd string notes ringing all the way. The melody is on the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes, i.e. the bass voice, same as in bars 26&27.

Hope this helps! :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:00 am

Superb, Cat! Great tempo and control. I would slightly slow down the valse to let those high notes ring a bit. Your José FERRER Y ESTEVE was well controlled as well.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Satyajit,
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. The Valse piece does sound best played more slowly. :)Cat

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 pm

And here's where I'm at with the Valse so far:
[media]https://youtu.be/skYPC2Yp-uU[/media]

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am

Satyajit, your valse sounds good otherwise, but you are damping the bass notes too early. You should only damp after playing the next bass note. Those rests refer to middle voice, and in my opinion can be ignored (i.e. no need to damp the ringing middle voice notes from previous bar).
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks, Marco. Will keep that in mind.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Satyajit,

:bravo: The Valse sounds nice :) You really savor those high notes and play them clearly.
:)
Cat Livingston

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 am

Thanks, Cat. Need to try prevent buzzing, especially my thumbnail striking the bass strings. Have you attempted the Accords? ... Some finger benders there.

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi all DO3 students!

I've been quite busy lately with other issues. Anyhow I decided to submit these recordings just to show where I am right now with the pieces.
Accord No.44
[media]https://youtu.be/azlQojALo2I[/media]
Accord No.45
[media]https://youtu.be/bdH3Rthf2pc[/media]

Anon. Valse
[media]https://youtu.be/sDUIld5lXwY[/media]

:merci: for watching

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

:bravo: Cat and :bravo: Satyajit!

Lovely and fluent Valses from both of you. :casque: :casque:

Congratulations :D

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Pennti :bravo:
The chords exercises sound perfect! I am having some difficulty with these, but will try to post them tomorrow.
The Valse piece sounds lovely. It is enjoyable to listen to. The mistakes in the 2nd part seem to be a
concentration thing. It's almost perfect :D
-Cat

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Here is my 2nd try at playing the Valse piece. I tried to get the high notes to "ring" a bit more.
I tend to play fast when I am recording. This is probably a good reminder to slow down when playing in front of others....
Thanks for listening!
P.S.- I am planning to post the chords exercises tomorrow.
:D
-Cat
[media]https://youtu.be/IyGtHYOwFu4[/media]
Last edited by Catherine Livingston on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”