Students' Corner

The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
William Byrd
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Post by William Byrd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 am

Thank you both for your response. I am now experimenting with both methods. While I do find not resting the thumb different, I am still able to locate the strings with relative precision. However, I do notice my wrist collapsing when not resting the thumb, something I am working to correct.
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000 G
1971 Mitsuru Tamura No 600
1973 Rokutaro Nakade A50
1977 Kazuo Yairi YC90

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I am a new member to the forum and am interested in enrolling and fully participating (posting videos, etc.) in the lessons. My question is: what is the schedule for beginning a new round of lessons? Should I wait for the fall (I saw that new classes were announced this past September)? Thank you for your guidance!
Ken

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Ken. Welcome.

The lessons begin in September and go through June. There are 10 lessons in each level, one per month. If you elect to take the final test in June, which is optional, you need to submit video or audio of your work assignments for the monthly lesson for 7 out of the 10 lessons to qualify. But since the final is announced in May, at the same time as lesson 9, you really must complete 7/8 lessons to qualify.

The schedule is completely at your own pace, except for the final. There is a deadline for submittal. Otherwise you can jump in and work at your own pace. If you can manage it you can start now and submit all your work before May so you can qualify for the exam.

But the exam is completely optional too. If you don’t care about the final or the certificate of completion, you can still participate at your own pace.

Having said all that, going through with your fellow students has benefits. If you jump in now they may or may not provide feedback for earlier lessons.

If you are a complete beginner I might not recommend trying to power through the first year lessons to catch up. But if you’re a fast learner or have had some beginner lessons in classical guitar with a good teacher then it might work well for you.

Good luck!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Rick. Thank you for your prompt response. I have an additional question: I have been playing the guitar for years and am competent at sight reading, but am fairly new to classical guitar studies. I have perused the material for DO1, DO2, and DO3, an feel that the third level might be a good starting point for me. Can I review DO1 and DO2 materials on my own and, in the fall, jump into the DO3 class?
Thank you!
Ken

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Yes that’s exactly what I did. I sight read through as far as I could go fairly easily and when I hit a speed bump I started there. That happened to be D03. It was April and I started from the first lesson and was able to power through and submit the work and take the exam for D03 in June. Then I thought I might be able to do D04 and D05 at the same time. Wrong. It gets harder quick. I’m now in the middle of D07 on the Spanish forum and having fun.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

One caveat to the above. Classical guitar technique is a lot different that finger picking or strumming. LH Tone production with nails is an acquired skill. RH position is also a key to mastering the repertoire. If this hasn’t been part of your past training I’d pay attention to the early technique exercises and make sure your fundamentals are sound. You might also use a good method book to supplement your seasons here. Fred Noad’s Books are great. There are others.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Shalludog

Post by Shalludog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Thank you for your insights and guidance!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Ed
Here are some thoughts on Nesta Rua and some Legato exercises.
If we ignore the staccato sound, you play the 1st half very well. The problems start with the 2nd half eg from 00:48 bar 12/13, it looks as though you hesitate to find the notes and then the timing goes to pot and this happens throughout the rest of the second half.
If you listen to the start of the first half you will notice what I mean about the staccato sound. Strangly, it happens on the 2 open E notes in bar 2 so it might be made worse by the guitar or recording. It would be interesting if you could post a video of some long notes on the open E to see how they sound.

Here are some ideas for exercise to help you play more smoothly:
The notes are shown as crotchets (quarter notes) start by playing them as long notes and shorten them as you become more proficient.

Start with Fig 1. Hold down and play the G and then simultaneously lift the 3rd finger as you play the E. Practice to get a smooth transition to the note.

Fig 2 Hold down both F and G - 1st and 3rd fingers. Play and hold the G, and then simultaneously lift the 3rd finger as you play the F. For the second bar (measure) place 1st and 2nd fingers down together. Practice to get a smooth transition to the note.

Fig 3 Hold down both F and G - 1st and 3rd fingers. Play the G and then simultaneously lift the 3rd finger as you play the F, then simultaneously lift the 1st finger as you play the F. For the second bar (measure) place 1st and 3rd fingers down together. Practice to get a smooth transition to the notes.

Fig 4 Hold down and play A with 4th finger. The move to G has to be done quickly, look at the G fret - where you are going - and slightly releasing pressure on the 4th finger move as quickly as possible to G and put on full pressure as you play the note.

Legato exercises-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Colin - this is awesome.

Thank you

Ed
Cordoba C7

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Colin

here is a video of the open E. To my hearing, the note is ringing out the way it should be. Is that correct.

Ed
Cordoba C7

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:29 pm
Colin

here is a video of the open E. To my hearing, the note is ringing out the way it should be. Is that correct.

Ed
Sounds fine to me Ed. Now compare that to the 2 open Es at the beginning of your Nesta, they definitely sound as though they are cut off, and subsequent notes die are too.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Colin - absolutely agree. I have gathered a bunch of legato exercises , including yours. These will be the focus of my practice for the early summer.

Thanks

Ed
Cordoba C7

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Ed Butler wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Colin - absolutely agree. I have gathered a bunch of legato exercises , including yours. These will be the focus of my practice for the early summer.
Douglas Niedt and Bradford Werner are reliable sources, so you won’t go wrong there.
I would also suggest revisiting the 2nd half of Nesta, there is some useful practice on position shifts there and also an opportunity to practice putting all 4 fingers down in anticipation eg bar 12.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Colin - I will include practicing 2nd part of Nesta Rua, When I feel comfortable it has improved significantly, I will post it.

Ed
Cordoba C7

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm not sure this will work, if not I'll upload it to youtube...but anyway, I have an exercise that I practice, starting from the 5th fret, playing through the notes with my LH, and playing with the RH using PIMA. But I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. See what I do is I use my thumb (P) on the three bass strings, then I on the 3rd string, M on the 2nd and A on the 1st, then come back up. Should I just use those fingers separately for the strings or should I be alternating between say p,i and i,a, a, m etc?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RHK-YAB4S ... o949xztryx
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Valencia VC204H classical
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “On-line classical guitar lessons”