D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Beatriz Martin

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi Halil,
:bravo: Your recordings are excellent! The audio is very good. The playing is very good and clean. Since it is audio I can't see how good you are doing your dampening, but in audio I didn't notice anything bad, so it looks you might be doing well with that too. I might be wrong but in Schiarazula Marazula towards the second 33, something didn't sound right, in bar 31 I think, hope someone could listen to this and say if something went wrong or not.
Also, with the Morlaye piece I am very impressed. By far this piece is harder than the others. I find it very difficult for the first lesson of level 3. I love it and I like that you play it slow, that way I can practice with your recording because delcamp playing is very fast, and the rhythm is much complex than in other pieces. :bye:

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:10 am

Bea,
You wrote "Hi Halil", but I suppose you wanted to write "Hi Haris", so I reply to your previous post :D
Thank you for your comments! You are right, in bas 31 I don't hit correctly the 1st si, I almost missed it. I may upload a video too later, so that dampenings are visible.
About Guillaume Morlaye - Gaillarde v1, I also find this piece harder than the others, especially the rhythm. L03 started from a much higher level than D02 finished. In Gaillarde there are note duration errors as they told me in the Spanish forum (I upload my recordings there too with help of online translators because there is much more participation there, 28 pages while we are only at 4th). So please take it into account if you want to use it for your practice and don't copy the same mistakes.
(Thank you for not commenting polyponies :D )

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:38 am

Yes, Haris, the comment was for you. Sorry about mixing up your name. I know Halil was working on the Morlaye piece as well, that'd another reason I mixed up the name.
The duration of notes on your polyphonie was good. My musical ear is not so good to detect if there was uncessary vivration of open strings, notes. I played at a slower tempo and counting thats how I did the dampening.
Re the Spanish lesson I have been there last year. But I dont like such large groups and extensive pages that I dont have time to read. In my opinion there is too much uncessary writing that takes time and does similar effect that a small group. Some people post the same piece several times containing similar mistakes, so I find those videos unnecessary. Re their feedback, yes you find more because there are more people and more discussion, but again you need to have lots of time to put on for participation, and in my case I dont.

Bea :)

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi everyone! Nİce job on all your recordings, we've started the year off strong. If we stay consistent, I think
we'll all be better players by the spring.

Beatriz, you've definitely made an improvement since D02. Keep doing what you're doing.

Haris, I'm also hoping to record the Gaillarde. It's quite a nice piece. ;)

My audio submissions are attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Halil, the 2 pieces sound very nice, I enjoyed listening to them especially Schiarazula Marazula (I really wonder what the title of the song means, does anybody know? ). You play it at a slower tempo and it sounds really good!
I should not be allowed to say my opinion about Polyphonies, because mine are very bad. :D

:bravo:

Bea, I agree that you need a lot of time to participate in the Spanish forum, especially if you don't know Spanish and try to communicate with the help of online translators.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Bea, it's me.

Oooh - apparently I'm a poet, and didn't know it.

OK enough kidding around. You have progressed substantially from last year; I suspect your time with the orchestra has paid big dividends! I am very impressed with your transitions from measure to measure. They are quite smooth ... I still find myself hesitating at times and I marvel at how well you are doing with them.

On Polyphonie your simultaneous strikes are not always there (neither are mine). I presume your timing is good b/c I can hear your metronome a bit and see you counting (quietly).

You may have had one wrong note on Carulli's arpeggios, about 25 seconds in (on the "tre note" one). Just before it goes back to a C shape, one plays a G with fretting 010 (G C E) on the treble strings, then G again with 001 (G B F). I think you may have played G C E twice in succession instead.

Just a nitpick. Overall you are quite impressive and a pleasure to hear play. Kudos on adding the Carcassi piece too!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Haris,

I may follow your lead and skip the video; it takes so much more time to deal with it, copy, trim, sync with a quality audio, etc. Anyway ...

At first I thought your Polyphonie was rather fast but I'm guessing you played it at the indicated tempo, whereas M. Delcamp did not ... and I followed his example. This is not the only instance where in his video the tempo he plays varies from the sheet music, but I had forgotten about that. I am a person who finds it quite difficult to just look at sheet music and know how it's supposed to sound. I really rely it being demonstrated. So I assume that your Polyphonie is correct for the indicated tempo, but I have a hard time envisioning what it would sound like. I suppose I could speed up my digital recorder's tempo while playing back m. Delcamp's version. It supposedly can go +/- 50% in tempo without changing pitch (but there is some distortion). Anyway I may fool with that later.

Your transitions on Carulli's arpeggios were really smooth. If there was one thing I might suggest, it is that I would like to hear the bass notes more prominently in the first half of the 4-note arpeggios. IMO they play a significant role in the second half of that 4-note arpeggio, and you rightly emphasize them there. But in the first half they are a little too quiet, I think.

Your treble string speed and crispness on Marazula are very, very good. I am in awe! But again the bass notes seemed weak. I'm not sure they're supposed to stand out as much on this one as the arpeggios but they still seemed like they were barely noticeable. Also, the in those tricky spots with sixteenth notes, you may have been ever so slightly slow on them. No - I've changed my mind. I think they are right. What I'm hearing is the 8th note that follows the two sixteenth notes, and it is appropriately of longer duration.

This highlights something that I recently realized in my own playing, a common mistake. With two sixteenth notes you really play 3 notes fast in succession, because there are two durational gaps in between three notes, and both of them are of 1/16 beat duration. I used to just play 2 quickly because that's how it seems (to the naive eye) on the sheet music. But you really have to go on to that third note quickly, as quick as 1/16th, regardless of the third note's duration. It just might last longer, but you have to start it quickly.

Well done!

I still have to record Marazula. It's the toughest one for me by far. My others are done.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Schiarazula Marazula (I really wonder what the title of the song means, does anybody know? ).
Google translate seems to think it is Swahili, but somehow I doubt that. If I try to force it to translate from Italian or Spanish, I get nowhere. It is a mystery!

I'm just glad we don't have to play SCHIARAZULA VUVUZELA. :lol:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:43 pm

:bravo: Halil,

Your Marazula is a textbook example of playing it slow and clean is better than playing fast but sloppy. If there were any flaws, I could not detect them. Really outstanding. So good, in fact, that I'm surprised you didn't go on to record it at a faster tempo even if one or two mistakes popped up. Maybe you did and you preferred this version. I can't blame you - it's really well done.

Imagine my surprise then when the arpeggios were at quite a quick clip! They were well done too. I am impressed that you and at least one other went and recorded them in one take, back-to-back. I could not get my RH fingers to adjust from one pattern to the other without taking a break. Too easy to get them mixed up.

On Polyphonie, there were a couple times when the notes were not quite struck simultaneously ... something I don't recall having trouble with in D01 and D02 but for some reason I have found it hard to do this year. Also, the notes needed a little more legato IMO. They seemed a bit too separated at times. Not a big deal - your performance really shined on the harder pieces and I applaud you!

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:56 pm

The Marazula really gets the fingers dancing. Feels great once you get it down.

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Thought I'd do some extra credit:

[media]https://youtu.be/YAyNOlgbpk0[/media]

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Halil - that was lovely!

But you really need to work on your guitar face.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:26 am

Carl, thank you for extensive feedback!
I noticed that too with the low bass volume on the recording. I hear them louder when I play, so it may be a recording issue. At the time I put the recorder below the guitar. Next time I try to put it in front of the hole.

Edit: I put the recorder in front of the guitar hole and the basses are much louder now. Thank you Carl for pointing this!

Of course video recording is much better, but if you want not have the camera sound and combine it with the recorder sound, much more difficult..

Halil, your Gaillarde sounds very nice, it is a pleasure to listen to it! The only thing I would advice to change, is to play the 16th notes a little louder.
:bravo:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Halil,
I liked how you played your pieces and polyphonies. Good job with Gaillarde! You and Haris made me feels jealous playing this piece because I didn't have enough time to put into it, but I am going to try one day. Cheers for your recordings!

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi
I'm still struggling to practice to make the pieces perfect :oops:
I like all of everybody's works and will keep on trying. I also got a problem of making a clip so I think I would do just the sound recording.
I feel so nervous when I start recording and always make mistakes :cry:
Nok

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”