D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Beatriz Martin

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I am practising bars 8, 9, 10, and 18, 19, 20, 21, thats where I am having problems all the eights notes together, I need to reduce speed to do this parts.

Bea :)

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Bea, in measure 5 do-mi are 1/4 so they last 2. In measure 18 the same. All other notes duration is OK!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Oh, I know what you say, thanks for taking the time to listen, Haris.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Bea, I would love to practice on this one too, but first of all I would have to buy myself a capo :D

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes, delcamp has some pieces to play with a capo. I bought one in D01 when he asked us to play Le Roy pieces.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:16 am

Duang Turongratanachai wrote:Hi Bea, I would love to practice on this one too, but first of all I would have to buy myself a capo :D
Duang, you can practice and learn it without capo. My 1st recording was without. So, if you buy a capo some time you will be ready to play it, :)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks Haris and Bea. I will try without a capo until I get one. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Hello Current D03 Students!

My name is Rick. I would like to VERY belatedly join your group with your permission. Let me introduce myself.

I started playing CG in 1981 and studied for 2 years with a great teacher, Gregory Coleman. He unfortunately passed away in 2005, too young. But he was a great teacher who gave me a very good basis in technique, sound quality and music theory. I also played piano as a youth, so I can read OK. I had to discontinue lessons, but continued to play for some years. Eventually, due to job, family and other reasons I stopped entirely (bad decision) because I thought if I can't put the time in needed, I may as well not play at all.

After retiring a year ago I am starting to get back into all of my old hobbies, like fly fishing and CG. The guitars came out of the closet and I started playing again. I found this site a few years ago. I tried starting at D01, then D02, but was finding myself getting bored with the material, though going back to the beginning was not a bad idea. Instead I've been focusing on re-learning all my old repertoire from 30 years ago. Now that I am back to where I think I was then, I am taking a look at D03, which I think is where I belong, at about a 2+ year student level.

I am starting WAY too late, I know. But I understand I have until August to finish, though the exam is in May. I'm trying desperately to catch up. Here are videos for lesson 1. I am posting lesson 2 today as well, and working on 3. I realize you've all moved on, but I appreciate any encouragement from this passionate group. I can also promise to pass on what I've learned from my great teacher, and other sources, if you let me jump in.

And yes, that is Segovia over my shoulder, a photo I took myself. I had the great privilege of meeting him in 1981 at a master class that I audited at USC.

[media]https://youtu.be/0blCH4OrRlM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/p_KVfzB-CJ0[/media]

EDITED 4/12/15 TO ADD THE FOLLOWING PIECE. FINALLY! I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS PIECE WAS SO HARD FOR ME. IT'S STILL A LITTLE ROUGH.
[media]https://youtu.be/Kkjg6UXvWqQ[/media]
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Rick, I am happy to welcome you in D03!
The lessons have progressed, but as I can see from your post and your playing your level is high and I hope and believe that with some effort of you, you will manage to submit 7 lessons before the exams time and so, be allowed to participate in the exams.
I am on vacation these days, so I could hear your pieces only from my cellphone. As I said it is obvious that your level is high, you easily play the pieces without mistakes, the sound (from my cellphone loudspeaker) is good and what I like most is your beautiful interpretation of the pieces. I may come back after I listen your pieces from my PC.

:bravo:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks Haris. I have time to practice more than the minimums suggested my Mr. Delcamp, so I am hoping to catch up. I'll focus on the recorded work for now and pick up the other pieces when I have time. These pieces are just what I need. Challenging but accessible.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 pm

Welcome to the group Rick! Thank you for sharing a bit about you and your experiences with the guitar. Wow, what a privilege you got to know Segovia and you were in his Master class and took that picture, very nice memory.
I enjoyed watching you playing these videos of the lesson we did in September. It seems it was too long ago but it is great to go back to this lesson and to remember what we did. Life goes so fast and our lives are so busy that it is easy to forget what we did or learned the previous month.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:52 pm

Also Rick, you need to submit Schiarazula Marazula.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi Bea,
I love this piece and will post my version soon, I think... You did an excellent job figuring out the complex rhythm. I still don't get hemiolas yet, and would have a hard time with this without the sample video. I tend to use more slurs, though they are not written. Just habit I guess. They help me with the fast passages. I love renaissance and baroque guitar.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:13 am

Hi Rick, are you talking about Gaillarde?...I really loved this piece too, but I didn't quite finish learning it well. At the time I found a youtube video which I think it was one of delcamp students playing it at slower tempo than delcamp and that's how I could get it.
Your submission of Schirazula Marazula is pretty good, a little more work and practice will make it better of course. But you have much less time than what we had to practice. We took 3 weeks to do each lesson. You are doing great! Some people found this piece very hard too. This wasn't my case, but sometimes pieces that are easier for others are harder for me. I am not sure why this happens.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:09 am

Yes the Gaillarde. You inspired me to post my version. Rough and slower than I'd like. I just love playing it.

[media]https://youtu.be/eO1MG7ex7aQ[/media]
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”