Anon. - Amazing Grace - Tab

Our arrangements of public domain works or our own compositions for classical guitar as PDF, GIF, PNG ou JPG attachments. These must be tablatures which we have created ourselves, with all necessary care. Since tablature is too imprecise in the expression of polyphony, it is compulsory to include a version in standard notation along with our tablature. Tablatures taken from the internet which we have not produced ourselves will be removed without warning.
Forum rules
Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - Tab - tags (if known)
e.g. Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla - Tab
or Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Tab Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Packington's Pound - Tab (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.

A version in standard notation must be included.
AO

Anon. - Amazing Grace - Tab

Post by AO » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:46 pm

I have an 87 year old gentleman who has been taking lessons from me for years. Still drives to my studio every week, anyway

he wanted a simple version of this tune in open D tuning. This is pretty simple, it can be played with one finger. It's a good foundation

for anyone to expand on. I thought this might be useful for some forum members as a teaching tool or just have fun with,

Cheers, AO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aucaman

Re: Anon. - Amazing Grace - Tab

Post by Aucaman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:36 am

Can your 87 year old gentleman handle that kind of tuning? I tried it and found it very uncomfortable (for me, that is).
I guess I'm too stuck on dear old EBGDAE. My only exception is lowering the 6th to D.

AO

Post by AO » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I guess I'm too stuck on dear old EBGDAE

Hi Aucaman, I noticed that your reading your strings from high to low, I go the other way,

my standard tuning would read EADGBE, I hope your not tuning open D upside down,

But Yes, this is the tuning he uses most of the time, sometimes open G, (DGDGBD) two very common tunings used by folk guitarists. It seems standard tuning is a bit difficult for his arthritic fingers. It’s fun noodling around with these tunings maybe get the old bottle neck out and play some blues.

Cheers,AO.

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 am

OK. Now I understand. Yes indeed. I was reading your tuning upside down. Don't know why. It must be that I've always encountered it that way. Never really thought about it till now.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 am

I think in terms of 1st string, 2nd string etc as notated in standard notation by numbers in circles. The first string referred to is the high E. So the strings go EBGDAE. Classical guitarists use that order because they read standard notation and that's how the strings are numbered.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am

Hello AO

Nice work. It sounds pretty and is not complicated, if you are familiar with changing the tuning of your guitar.

Thanks for posting.

gryka

Post by gryka » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 am

It is never too late to learn - I've started 2 years ago being 56 years old. Of course, I will never be a guitar virtuoso, but I keep my mind still working and find a great pleasure to overcome my physical limitations. So being able to play even pretty simple pieces is valuable award. So I appreciated your work, AO ;)

AO

Post by AO » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Whoops, just checked out my post here and noticed in measure 3 I have the wrong alternating bass, I intended the bass to go from string 6 to 4 instead of 6 to 5. Although it doesn’t make any difference harmonically, I am looking for the easiest way to play this. I will upload the fixed version as soon as I can.

As far as up and down and high and low, string one is the highest in pitch, but when displaying an alternate tuning it’s best to think of the string display as a chord diagram where the 6 is on the left and the 1 is on the right, that way all the alternate tuning publications won’t have to be republished and we won’t have to fight each other like they did in the great nail and no nail uprising int the ninetieth century. :wink:

Cheers, AO.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:12 pm

AO wrote:
Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:46 pm
I have an 87 year old gentleman who has been taking lessons from me for years. Still drives to my studio every week, anyway

he wanted a simple version of this tune in open D tuning. This is pretty simple, it can be played with one finger. It's a good foundation

for anyone to expand on. I thought this might be useful for some forum members as a teaching tool or just have fun with,

Cheers, AO.
Thanks, I am going to compare it to the one I know.

Cheers
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

Solista

Post by Solista » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Just looking for it, thanks

Return to “Our tablatures for classical guitar”