Chair

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
doug

Chair

Post by doug » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 pm

What type of chair do you sit in when you practice? I use an armless office chair.....what I've always referred to as a "secretary's chair." It has pneumatic height control, so I can vary the height occasionally to change the angle my knees are bent. It also swivels, which allows me to vary my posture, and also helps if I accidentally drop something, like a pencil, and need to bend over and pick it up.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Christopher Freitag

Re: Chair

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri May 22, 2015 8:01 pm

There are multiple threads on this if you search. You'll find votes for the Guitar Chair (folding, wooden) and the much less expensive (and less elegant) Adjustrite musician's chair (which I use and like), as well as office chairs, bar stools, and everything in between.

I would never perform on a swivel chair (I've got enough variables to contend with), so I would never practice on one.

Here is a sample thread in this same forum: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=67368&hilit=chair+ ... te#p738560
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

doug

Post by doug » Sun May 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you. I have searched the forum topics thoroughly. I am in the process of turning a room, in our home, into my "music room," and I was looking at different options for a chair. The chair that you said you liked, as well as the one mentioned on the topic you highlighted, have both positive and negative reviews, on the websites that sell them. I am a little concerned with some of the negative reviews.
After looking at what is available, I have decided to have an acquaintance of mine, Michael Brown, a chairmaker, make me a custom musician's chair. He is originally from England, but lives near here now. He builds custom made Windsor chairs, rocking chairs, tables, musician's chairs, music stands, etc. He does excellent quality work.
I'll let you know how it turns out..........
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun May 24, 2015 8:56 pm

I use a piano bench, it is adjustable in height and doesn't swivel.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

bear

Post by bear » Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Straight, high back wooded chair with a gel cushion and lumbar support.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

MAK

Post by MAK » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:20 am

I use a former speaker stand that is 15" high and the lowest setting on my footstool. I'm short and anything that is like a normal height chair is uncomfortable. I tried other chairs and brought them back to the store, even the fold out chairs that musicians usually use.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:47 am

I don't like office chairs much because they feel unstable (unless it has a method to lock it from turning). My preference is a drummer's throne. Perfect chair for guitar because it is round (so no corners to cut off circulation in the legs) and can be easily adjusted to the exact height I want. Must be the type that has a full range of height adjustment (as opposed to stepped by using a cog pin) and must have locking mechanism so it doesn't turn (or wobble). Requires keeping a drum key around the house so it's useful to buy a couple when purchasing the stool/throne. Also pretty much the perfect utility chairs too (including as little stands for controllers, mixers, other gear). I keep a few of them around my (home) music studio.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

wortspur

Post by wortspur » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:12 am

Depends on your size.
For me, the most comfortable sitting position is with my upper legs parallel to the floor (I'm playing with a Dynarette cushion, not with a foot stool).
I simply use a cushioned cube:

Image.

These are available in different heights (most of them are a bit too low) but I found one with the perfect height for my size (1,75 m).

RockyWestTexas

Post by RockyWestTexas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Doug
I have a history of back and other joint pain. So after I retired and considered the possibility of playing the guitar again, I tried various types of chairs. Some chairs caused discomfort immediately. Others produced the discomfort after a month or so. But I found one chair which I comfortably practice on daily for 6 months. This chair is a weight bench.

I would understand if the reader questions the reason for using or considering a weight bench. I probably would have never considered it but, as I work out 6-7 days a week at a gym, I came to appreciate that these benches were actually very comfortable (at least, for me). So when thinking about the underlying mechanics, I realized that a weight bench is a platform designed to support one portion of the body as the muscles of another part are exercised with weights. In my application, I want to play the guitar while supporting the weight of my upper torso, arms and head and reduce the force their weight would have on the lumbar region of my spine and my tail bone. I know this sounds more like wishful than human engineering. And I don’t know how better to explain or describe my use of a weight bench. I wanted to provide a photo of me sitting with the guitar but I was unable to find someone to help photograph. I did photograph the weight bench by itself and perhaps my description below will suffice.

As shown in the photo below, I set up the weight bench with the backrest and seat reclined. As the seat is narrow, my legs straddle the seat (just as if I were riding a bicycle). So my thighs are actually tilted slightly below – not above --- the horizontal. Only the lumbar region of my spine is supported against the backrest. My upper back and head do not make contact with the backrest but rather maintain a perpendicular posture. (For those mechanically inclined: The weight of my upper body is partially supported by the floor through the legs of the weight bench).

While the angle of the backrest and seat are adjustable on my weight bench, the adjustments are too coarse. So to fine tune the location of the support on my back, I use a cushion which I can slide up or down along the backrest.

Hope this might help those with back problems or at least inspire them to explore other possibilities.

Rocky

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Out of the box solution and congrats!

twang

Post by twang » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 am

Shouldn't one practice playing in a variety of chairs?
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

I would have liked to play on the US built "Original Guitar Chair", but the shipping costs to Europe are horrendous. 500 $ are a bit too much for a chair. So I stick to my piano bench.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

twang wrote:Shouldn't one practice playing in a variety of chairs?
That's a good point. While one should generally use a chair that best suits them, it is a good idea to get familiar with playing in different chairs for when it's not possible to bring yours with you. And on those lines, if playing performances is in the works, it's a good idea to find a chair that is also portable or a portable chair as close to the same height, shape, feel, etc. of the chair you use at home.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Frances McMahon

Post by Frances McMahon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 am

Like Robin Loops, I have invested in a Drummer's "throne". They are backless, so you HAVE to sit up straight, no slouching allowed! Mine has a fairly wide (17 inch) top, and looks a little like a tractor seat - moulded to fit your bottom, and not cut into your legs.
I'm 5' 7" tall, and needed a chair that adjusts to a fairly low setting. With using a guitar support, I find your thighs have to be parallel to the floor, otherwise the guitar seems to want to slip off! My drummer's stool goes to just the right height.
The seat isn't as padded as I hoped (internet purchase) BUT this isn't such a bad thing. My bottom gets a bit numb and sore after an hour of playing. This is a timely reminder to take a break. Otherwise I'd be playing all day, possibly injuring myself. Hope that helps :)
Cheers

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”