sitting posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Bikram Bhowmick

sitting posture

Post by Bikram Bhowmick » Mon May 25, 2015 6:12 am

please help me to know different styles of sitting posture while playing?

markodarko

Re: sitting posture

Post by markodarko » Mon May 25, 2015 7:33 am

For me, I prefer a footstool to raise my left knee with the guitar on my left thigh but some others prefer to have their feet flat on the floor and use something on their thigh to raise the guitar. Others prefer to have the guitar on the right thigh in the flamenco style.

There is only one posture that matters: the one where you and the guitar are at your most relaxed and comfortable - whatever that may be for you personally.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Mon May 25, 2015 9:44 am

A video Of Milos Karadaglic showing some students how and why he suggests a particular posture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLccwti1cnE
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

froodster99

Post by froodster99 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:53 am

Using a foot stool gave me back pain, so I switched to a 'knee stand' - I'm not sure what they're called officially, but it sits between the leg and the guitar). I found this a more comfortable experience.

I think the bottom line is comfort and stability that works best for you.

Bikram Bhowmick

Post by Bikram Bhowmick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 am

Thank u so much for your kind support and really feeling relaxed after getting all yours valuable suggestions...Now i am quite assured that i could follow the posture which actually gives me comfortability..

patspector

Post by patspector » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 pm

@oldpotter, I found his comments about stress and connecting with the music interesting.

Would you happen to know the non-slip pad (@3:48) he was using for the girl in the first master class lesson?

robinmcc9

Post by robinmcc9 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:51 pm

My first classical guitar teacher had back pain, so she lay on the floor listening and giving advice during the lesson. After a year, my left lower back pinched, so I stopped using the footstool. Curious about the pillow on the left leg.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:43 pm

I usually play in standing position and feel very comfortable, and do not have any back pain or other pain from playing guitar. When I play sitting in standard position with footstool or support - I have back pain. Many people complain about back pain, standing/moving helps to avoid it.
Please consider this possibility too.
More about it in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35855

Good luck!

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Dear Patspector, I'm sorry I did not respond to your post, I have only just revisited this thread. I think that if you use the "quote " tab then its sets off an alarm to let me know.
Apologies again, I don't know what he used, but there are some answers here;viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31582&start=0
I have googled for non slip pads and the open weave rubber material seems likely.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Michael D Bryce

Post by Michael D Bryce » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 pm

I have taken to using a strap. I find that it puts the guitar in a very advantageous position. Of course, this means I had to install strap buttons on the guitar, which some may not want to do.
If you use a footstool that is angled, try this: When sitting back on the chair, the footstool should be angled upward in front. When sitting forward on the chair - about as far forward as you can without falling off - in a more aggressive position, angles the footstool so it is lower in front. You can simply turn it around to achieve this.
If you sit forward with the footstool angled upward, your legs will be pushing you back, so your lower back will push you forward, and you'll get pain. Sitting at the forward part of the chair with the footstool angled downward in front aligns your body so it's all working together instead of fighting itself.
Or else try a strap!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 pm

A strap also allows one to avoid holding the guitar with the right arm, freeing up the right hand and arm for more motion along the strings, creating more tone color possibilities. Paul Galbraith has discovered more than the 8-string guitar, as it turns out.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Z. Quentin

Post by Z. Quentin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:02 am

This has been a very helpful series of posts. I am just beginning classical guitar and these comments and suggestions are a great help to me in trying to avoid reinventing the wheel of finding correct (and/or comfortable) posture for practicing.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:24 am

So do people use a strap while sitting? does it allow you to have both feet on the floor?

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:38 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:So do people use a strap while sitting? does it allow you to have both feet on the floor?
Sure. Yes you could sit like that with strap or stand. I do it all the time.

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 am

Do you folks who use straps have a second button installed (and where?) or just tie the strap to the head stalk?

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”