Easy guitar/flute duets

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
regrunes

Easy guitar/flute duets

Post by regrunes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi, Anybody know of some easy-ish guitar/flute duets? I am trying to keep my daughter interested in the flute, plus something fun to do together. Pieces should be intermediate or easier for both, as I haven't been playing for a while. Thanks for any help!

franmouse

Re: Easy guitar/flute duets

Post by franmouse » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:58 am

(Former flute player here) There's a lovely piece by Ibert for flute and guitar - http://imslp.org/wiki/Entr'acte_(Ibert,_Jacques)

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Check out two collections of English folk songs for recorder and guitar edited by John Duarte. They work very well for flute. One collection is called Simple Folk and contains twelve short pieces. The other is called Folk Songs and is slightly more advanced. I just played a number of these at a local senior center.

Another, more intermediate collection is Six Duets by Furstenau, very much in early 19th C. style.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

stefan73

Post by stefan73 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:51 pm

The Hungarian Guitarist Jozef Zsapka keeps a comprehensive database of music for flute and guitar, however the pieces are not graded:
http://www.zsapka.com/index.php?database&view=A

From personal experience, I can recommend:
- GIULIANI, Mauro: Piéces faciles et agreables, op.74 (very easy for flute and guitar but unfortunately also rather boring)
- MACHADO, Celso: Musiques Populaires Brésiliennes (intermediate level pieces, fun to play)
(De) (En) (Fr) Hanika 58 PF, Savarez Corum Alliance 500 ARJ

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Giuliani Duettino Facile, op.77 has a lot of charm.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 pm

How about Pacoca, arranged by Celso Machado? I see it sometimes performed with flute and guitar and sometimes with clarinet and guitar.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:04 pm

Nights in White Satin!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Flute and guitar makes such a perfect match. Add Norwegian Wood and Edelweiss and you are almost ready for your first gig! There is time to work on some holiday music too. Nothing holds interest better than the first check. You can do this! Happy holiday$
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:01 am

Not sure if it is still in print: "The Rosewood Book".

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Bill Tyers Guitar Down Under has some duets in the Ensemble tab

Misfit Minstrel

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 pm

You could also check Allan Alexander's website for guitar and flute duets. Easy but beautiful.

permanent-rose

Post by permanent-rose » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:17 pm

I believe there are some well thought of arrangements of Bartok for guitar and flute. Unfortunately I don't like Bartok so I've never payed much attention to them. There is a local artists near me though that did a full concert series of them the summer before last and I believe they were well received.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 am

franmouse wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:58 am
(Former flute player here) There's a lovely piece by Ibert for flute and guitar - http://imslp.org/wiki/Entr'acte_(Ibert,_Jacques)
I believe Ibert wrote 2 works for flute and guitar.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:15 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Check out two collections of English folk songs for recorder and guitar edited by John Duarte. They work very well for flute. One collection is called Simple Folk and contains twelve short pieces. The other is called Folk Songs and is slightly more advanced. I just played a number of these at a local senior center.

Another, more intermediate collection is Six Duets by Furstenau, very much in early 19th C. style.
The flutist with whom I play loves Furstenau and Kummer. The works I’ve played by Furstenau and Kummer have easy guitar parts and more challenging parts for winds and strings. Also true of Kuffner.

TomPollock

Post by TomPollock » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:56 am

I used to play duets with my daughter when she was learning the flute. The best book I found was Guitar and Flute Duets by Peter DRAPER. It has arrangements of 47 standards from 1600 to 1900. The guitar parts are well arranged and not difficult. It's available from the Spanish Guitar Centre in Nottingham by mail order at £14.95.
Alastair McNeill 2001 Spruce
Cuenca C40

Return to “Public Space”